Recipe by Eileen Delpiano, Executive Chef
- 1 can of
black beans (14 oz.), rinsed
- 1 egg
cup of cooked farro*
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1.5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, scallions
- 8 mini buns
*1. Farro: Prepare like you would pasta. Farro absorbs a lot of water so use a
1:6 farro to water ratio (eg. 1/3 cup farro = 2 cups of water). Bring water to a boil, salt, add farro,
and boil uncovered for about 25 minutes or until al dente (tender but with a bite). Drain.
2. Green onions/scallions: Chop both green and white parts into thin segments.
1. Preheat oven at 375F degrees.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine black beans and egg. Mash with a fork.
Add farro, tomato paste, kosher salt, paprika, chili powder, and corn (if using). Let flavors sit and marinate (this
can be prepared ahead of time and stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator).
4. In the
meantime, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 Tbsp. oil. When oil is warm, add chopped
scallions, plus a dash of salt. Saute for 1 minute and then add to your black bean, farro mixture.
5. Form mixture into 4 round balls. If you find that it's a bit sticky, wet your hands first.
6. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining Tablespoon of olive oil. When oil is warm,
transfer balls to skillet and gently press down with a spatula to form patties. Sear on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
7. Transfer skillet to heated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
in half for sliders. Serve with a bit a ketchup and coleslaw on mini buns.